Saturday 7 March 2009

the gospel according to...



After talking to a friend who cheered me up, I came across a quote online somewhere that said something along the lines of 'a life is lived in the doing and its what you do that makes a difference'. I couldn't agree more. i haven't been looking after myself properly lately - and consequently got ill - lost my voice and have been in bed for the day (and on my day off as well). Today however, saturday, a new leaf was turned over. It started with discovering a sweet potato. i discovered it in the fridge and decided - today i am going to cook something using that sweet potato. Googling sweet potato dishes i came across a recipe It was joyously easy and quick to follow - i am not that keen on too many carrots in dishes and didn't have any in the fridge so i added some frozen soya beans instead of carrots. I also added less liquid as suggested by others and less wine (and a bit less cheese - cos it can't be that healthy and it belonged to my housemate!).

There is plenty for tomorrow. Am watching pier pasolini's 'Gospel according to st matthew' - am really enjoying it where usually its the kind of film that would really annoy me - but the soundtrack is unusual - and includes billie holiday singing 'sometimes i feel like a motherless child'. It has brought the bible alive and its relevance in terms of 'how to live' by ten simple principles. I would probably replace the first three with 'to thine own self be true'. What's remarkable about the film is its sense of realness. Jesus is kickass to his people - scornful of them and their greedy, stubborn ways - spitting at them 'its easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven'. How much do we need to hear that right now?! It struck me at the beginning the very idea of a man able to take on another woman's child, raising him in the knowledge that he would be a leader of people. Protecting him, loving him. This is the birthplace of humanity, loving another as you would your own family, so that he might have the opportunity to make a difference.

Interestingly i have come across this concept of 'predestination' which Lutherans (which i was christened into) believe in: that god, before creation, god determined the fate of the universe throughout space and time. I guess this is why my pastor was so displeased with me wanting to study genetics. learn summit everyday! from sweet potato to religion and so to sleep. night. x

No comments:

Post a Comment